The open access peer-reviewed journal SQS, published by the Society for Queer Studies in Finland, celebrates its 10th anniversary in 2016. A special anniversary issue that focuses on affect will be published later this year. Thus the journal welcomes submissions for such article manuscripts which examine affects and/or address affect theories from the perspective of queer studies. In addition to article manuscripts, review articles, essays, opinion pieces and commentaries, as well as book reviews, are welcome.
It is evident that queer scholars have had a significant role in introducing affect studies into the scholarship on gender and sexuality. Within queer studies there has already been discussion on such things as: the politics of affects, the role of affect in the processes of governance, and the relationship between affects, drives and emotions, along with the ways in which affect participates in knowledge production. The journal aims to continue and deepen such discussions. Therefore we seek submissions on topics which address, yet are not limited to, questions such as:
– How affects are used to produce, maintain, challenge or deconstruct norms related to sexual practices and sexualities?
– How does the research on affect enable a deeper understanding about the multiple mechanisms of sexual control, such as hate speech, homo- or transphobia, or operations of shame?
– How can affect studies contribute to the study of social bond or communities, considering the feelings of attachment, affection or passion?
– What is the role of affects in variously formed intimate relationships?
– How to do norm critical research that pays attention to affects?
The special anniversary issue is edited by Dr. Tuula Juvonen and Dr. Marjo Kolehmainen. Besides focusing on affects the SQS Journal will, as usual, chart the state of the art of queer studies and theorizing, so the editors will also consider submissions outside the special theme.
In order to make a submission, please send an abstract in English, Swedish or Finnish to the editors no later than the 15th of February, 2016. You will be informed about the first decision by the end of February. The full article manuscripts (max 70 000 characters) are to be submitted via Open Journal System by the end of May for peer review. The final versions are due in September. The anniversary issue will be published in December 2016. Please note that only original research articles are eligible for publication.
Please send your submissions and queries to the editors:
Dr. Tuula Juvonen (tuula.juvonen[at]uta.fi), The School of Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Tampere, Finland.
Dr. Marjo Kolehmainen (marjo.kolehmainen[at]uta.fi), The School of Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Tampere, Finland.
Please find the previous issues of SQS and the detailed submission guidelines at